Top 10 Supplements for Fitness
Did you make a resolution to work out more in the new year? Here’s a list of popular supplements that will enhance and support your workout and health goals!
What are Supplements?
Supplements are just that — supplements, not replacements. Paired with a healthy diet, they can help keep the body strong by focusing on prevention and support. They can also help to address specific health needs related to your joints, heart, brain, digestion and more. Research indicates that optimal levels of some nutrients are tough to obtain from diet alone, thus… supplements!
1. Energy Supplements
Whatever your workout, energy supplements can fuel your sessions before, sustain your energy during and support repair and recovery after.
- Natural energy enhancers like green tea and yerba mate will support endurance and mental focus without the jitters or caffeine crash. Boosting your energy with natural ingredients will help increase endurance, aerobic and anaerobic capacity, and enhance mental focus before long and high-intensity workouts.
- B vitamins are necessary for the body to convert proteins and sugars into energy, and are necessary for peak performance and recovery.
We recommend… Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer and Clif Shot Bloks Energy Chews (with 50mg Caffeine)
2. Recovery Supplements
Helping your body recover quickly from a tough workout will decrease muscle soreness and help to get you ready for your next workout.
- Turmeric supports a healthy inflammatory response which supports recovery and pain relief.
- Ginseng and Rhodiola were traditionally used in herbal medicine to help enhance physical capacity, and reduce training-related fatigue.
We recommend… Gaia Herbs Turmeric Supreme Liquid Caps and Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health Liquid Caps
3. Protein powders
Protein provides amino acids, which are vital for lean muscle tissue growth and repair, as well as cellular metabolism.
- Protein powder is a great way to get additional support if you don’t get sufficient levels of protein from the foods you eat. Most are vegetarian and some varieties are dairy free or vegan.
We recommend… Whole Foods Market™ Plant Based Fit Protein Powder and Garden of Life Organic Raw Protein Powder
4. Bone and Joint Supplements
Make sure you are supporting the bone and joint structure that keeps your body supported! Orthopedic injuries are a very common reason people can’t work out like they want to.
- Calcium provides critical support for healthy bones. Although it is never too late to nourish your bones, early intervention through adequate calcium intake, regular exercise, and a diet rich in fresh, unprocessed foods will help prevent bone loss in later years.
- Vitamin D plays a major role in bone development and appears to have a beneficial effect on many of the body’s systems. Most people cannot get needed levels of vitamins D from recommended diets.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin formulas address joint discomfort by supplementing and supporting components naturally found in healthy cartilage. Glucosamine is a building block of cartilage, while chondroitin sulfate is actually a constituent of cartilage.
- Zyflamendpromotes a healthy inflammation response that helps support joint health. Perfect for post-workout pain.
We recommend… New Chapter Zyflamend and Adora Dark Chocolate Calcium Disks
5. Wellness for Cold and Flu Supplements
Sickness is another common reason people have to skip their workouts. These types of supplements support healthy immune systems.
- Homeopathic flu remedies, when taken at the first sign of sickness, can provide temporary relief of symptoms including fever, chills and body aches.
- Warm liquids may provide similar soothing effects as steam.
We recommend… Boiron Oscillococcinum and Nature’s Way Umcka Cold Care Hot Lemon Drink
Pro-tip: Experts say, washing your hands is “hands down” the number one prevention for cold and flu.
6. Healthy Fats
Healthy Fats are vital for numerous functions in the body, including a healthy cardiovascular system, brain, mood, joints and skin.
- Fish oil is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are key players in the recovery process. Essential fatty acids found in fish oils may support a healthy inflammation response after exercise. This may help to reduce the post-exercise muscle soreness often felt for hours or days after strenuous or unaccustomed exercise.
- Plant-based omega-3s, derived from nuts and seeds, are great options for those who don’t consume fish or meat.
We recommend… 365 Everyday Value® Organic Chia Seed, Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts and 365 Everyday Value Fish Oil
Electrolytes are minerals in your blood that are depleted during training. Great natural sources are coconut water, dried fruits like raisins or dates, and naturally enhanced electrolyte drinks.
Supplements to consider… Nuun Active Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tabs
8. Digestion Supplements
No one likes to work out on an upset stomach, but even more importantly, healthy digestion is key to overall health and maintaining a healthy weight.
- Probioticsplay an important role in digestion, supporting the immune system and intestinal health.
- Fiber supports normal blood sugar levels, hunger, cholesterol levels and a healthy intestine.
We recommend… Garden of Life Raw Probiotics, 365 Everyday Value: Daily Probiotic With Acidophilus and Manitoba Harvest Certified Organic Hemp Protein Powder with Fiber
Multivitamins contain beneficial nutrients that may be difficult to obtain from food sources alone. They act as nutritional “insurance.”
We recommend… Megafood Women’s Multivitamin, Megafood Men’s Multivitamin, and Hero Nutritionals Yummy Bears Multivitamin
10. Superfoods Supplements
Superfoods are packed with essential nutrients and available in a variety of convenient forms, like powders, bars and capsules, which can help you get in your recommended five servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- Greens and wheatgrass are loaded with antioxidants, fiber and minerals.
- Maca delivers glucosinolates, the healthy compounds in cruciferous vegetables.
We recommend… Amazing Grass Organic Wheatgrass Powder and Navitas Naturals Incan Organic Maca Powder
Pro-tip: If you need any supplements right now, don’t miss the sale at Whole Foods Market January 6-8, 2017. These are the biggest discounts on supplements all year!