People are crazy for cauliflower right now! Who would have thought that bland white cauliflower would be the next big food trend? It’s interesting though, some of those qualities that make cauliflower seem boring are actually what makes it so versatile. We’re seeing it in everything from vegan buffalo wings to pizza crust! The mild flavor of cauliflower allows it to blend seamlessly into many recipes and we love how healthy it is too!
Cauliflower is super nourishing! It offers high levels of vitamin C, K and soluble fiber. This vegetable belongs to the brassica (cabbage) family—vegetables in this genus are touted for their health benefits most notably their antioxidant and detox properties. Did you know that cauliflower comes in a range of colors too? Look for green romanesco or antioxidant rich purple cauliflower.
If you thought you didn’t like cauliflower, why not try one of these 3 recipes that transform this old favorite into something new and exciting!
- Got a hankering for Buffalo wings? Wait till you try our awesome Buffalo Cauliflower Bites.
- If you prefer to pass on the potatoes, try Mashed Cauliflower Or, mash cauliflower with potatoes.
- Roast cauliflower for a real treat. Toss one head of cut-up cauliflower with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees F. until just tender, stirring occasionally. Roasted Cauliflower Steaksis super healthy recipe flavored with lemon, garlic and parsley.
Have you heard about riced cauliflower? This is my new favorite product to always have on hand. You can find 365 Everyday Value Organic Riced Cauliflower in our frozen section for just $1.99 a bag! What a great deal for a super healthy product.
Here are two of my favorite recipes that feature cauliflower rice!
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
For the crust:
- Nonstick spray (we used coconut oil spray)
- 1 bag 365 Everyday Value Organic Riced Cauliflower
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Prep cauliflower rice: Empty contents of Cauliflower Rice bag into microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Remove from the microwave and let cool.
- Strain cauliflower: Place cauliflower in dish cloth, paper towel or cheese cloth and wring out water. Try to get the cauliflower as dry as possible.
- Mix crust: In a large bowl, combine drained cauliflower, egg, one cup mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Make crust: Once combined, pat crust mixture into a circle on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Top the pizza with the sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella, grape tomatoes, and garlic.
- Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes. Top with red pepper flakes and fresh basil before serving.
Riced Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 bag riced cauliflower
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded tri-color carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cashews
- Heat oil in large wok over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Raise heat to high. Add cauliflower (no need to thaw first), carrots, peas and soy sauce. Cook, flipping frequently, until veggies become tender crisp and cauliflower begins to brown in spots, about 5 minutes.
- Top with scallions and cashews.